Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Promaballoona: Decision time

So, I'm making this dress for Costume College Gala and Promaballona:


I had originally wanted to do the black view with the giant bow in the back but I didn't have enough fabric! So now I need your help deciding what to do instead. I did some window shopping on etsy for inspiration.


This 50s black dress opts for a simple self fabric band just like the jumper view of my pattern.


This one is just a bit fancier with a bow. I probably wouldn't have enough self fabric to do any kind of bow but I could do something in a contrasting fabric. I was thinking silver.


This dress has some kind of pleated/gathered self trim.


I adore this one with the contrasting trim. So yummy. I think I'd stick to a simple band at the drop waist. I've sourced a couple of great sparkly trims (from most to least affordable).


Plain rhinestone trim. Very affordable and I could always do a couple of rows.


 A yummy vintage trim with rhinestones, pearls and sequins.


 A danglely pearl and bead trim. I'm not sure if I'm in love with the ivory color though.


 And last but not least, this scrumptious bead and rhinestone trim. My favorite and, of course, the most expensive option. At $37/yd, it's not the most expensive trim I looked at by far but it's definitely at the top of my budget.


I also spyed this adorable bow applique but I have no idea what I'd do with it.

My poor dress has no hanger appeal what so ever and it's kind of making me sad. I need to get the zipper in asap so I can try it on and stop thinking that I really do need that $100/yd Swarovski crystal trim.

8 comments:

  1. That black dress trim is gorgeous! I'm not a fan of the band or the gather. While I love the expensive trim too, I think the vintage flowers are very you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ivory danglely pearl and bead trim makes me think 1986 for some reason...

    I really like the all black one from fabgab and if it were me I'd stick with all black but then again I really do like the $37 trim too... but that could be because it's sparkly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the FabGabs black dress. It's simple, but quite elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vintage trim with the pearls, rhinestones and sequins. It looks like daisies to me. The perfect way to make it both fancy and quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you've probably picked already, but i love that daisy-esque one. for just the reason scene in the past said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm leaning towards the bow applique, especially since you'd hoped to include a bow from the get-go. I know whatever you settle on will be thoroughly fantastic and oh-so-pretty though!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, where did you get the $37 trim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/97198611/silver-and-rhinestone-beaded-trim-one?

      Delete