Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Some 1930s Sewing

 On thing I really wanted to sew this year was more blouses to go with my Freddies of Pinewood jeans and ones that would be work appropriate. Modern blouses just look too odd with the 1940s style jeans for my tastes. So I whipped up Wearing History's Smooth Sailing blouse in this cute green leaf print that I bought and was supposed to make up about a year ago. (Please excuse my crazy hair! Not only was I having an uncooperative hair day today but it was super windy.)


My first attempt at this blouse did not go to well fitting wise. Not only do vintage patterns have small sleeves, apparently, I have chunky arms. So this time I was prepared and redrafted the sleeves.Voila! They fit. (And, hey, I just realized that I also wore last year's version for last year's first day of school too!)


About the same time that I picked up the blouse fabric, I got this green corduroy for Wearing History's Sporty Toppers view 1.


I started on this hat back in June but then I froze when I got to the bow detail in the back. I'm not the kind of person who can whip up a cute looking bow. Mine always look at bit kindergarten-y. Add in an unexpected  trip to Maine and you have a great recipe for a UFO. So I decided to finish this up when I made the blouse.

I'm still not solid on the styling for the hat. One of the pictures on the hat pattern cover looks like the edges are turned up so I've been playing around with that. I do feel like I should be a great lady golfer in it though! (But that may be because it's called a sporty topper.)

The pattern was very easy to follow just like the last time I used it. I'm still a beginner milliner but this hat went very well once I actually sat down to finish it. This hat is a smidge tight just like the other one I made from this pattern, but that's what I get for not making a muslin.

4 comments:

  1. That looks awesome!!! Yay for green :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to sew more blouses. Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blouse - looks completely 1930's. I've been eyeing up that pattern too! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah, I love Freddie's jeans. I so want a pair. I keep searching ebay and etsy for some, but they don't seem to have my size. :(

    I'm just going to have to break down and purchase a pair from the FOP store.

    ReplyDelete